Come grow with us! We are looking to fill a position on our beautiful farm, complete with a brand new creamery and underground aging caves located in the foothills of WNC. The farm is 226 acres located in Columbus, NC which is about 1 hour south of Asheville. We are a small but dedicated group of people that work hard and try to have fun while we work. Looking Glass Creamery is committed to making great farmstead cheese from milk that is produced using sustainable farming practices and educating people about the importance of farming and local food production. We are hiring for the following position:
Position: Assistant Cheesemaker
Position Summary: Duties include all processes related to the production and aging of cheese and caramel and maintenance of related paperwork for each batch. This position will work closely with a small team of people to execute daily operations of the production process, monitor and maintain product in the aging caves, and coordinate packaging and preparation of product for retail and wholesale distribution.
General Duties for Cheesemaking & Caramel Production:
- Managing milk transfer, pasteurization process, and production as needed.
- Create, notate, and file records for each batch of product produced
- Follow all sanitation guidelines and processes to ensure safe production of product
- Wash cheese molds, equipment, mop floors, and general cleaning.
- Monitor caramel making process and assist with packaging, cleanup, and labeling when complete.
- Assist with ongoing HACCP development, NCDA inspections, finished product testing, and 3rd party Audits.
- Calculate brine times and properly salt or brine cheeses during or after production as needed.
- Maintain brines within designated safe parameters for salinity and PH, make new brine as needed.
- Manage the aging process for each type of cheese and encourage the desired rind development through washing, binding, piercing, waxing, brushing, etc. at the proper time for each cheese.
- Track batches throughout aging process and help determine production schedule based on cave inventory
- Managing boards and aging racks in aging caves. Follow guidelines for proper washing, drying, maintenance and storage of boards.
- Package, weigh, and label whole wheels for wholesale distribution.
- Cut wheels of cheese into wedges for retail packaging. Seal wedges with vacuum sealer, weigh and label as needed for retail distribution to our shop, farmers market, and other retail customers.
- Fulfill and ship website orders.
- Maintain inventory of packaging supplies, cheese paper, jars, labels, vacuum seal bags, tape, boxes, insulation panels, icepacks, etc.
This position will work regular, scheduled hours. The job requires stamina for hard work, extended periods of standing, bending, squatting and ability to occasionally lift 50lbs. Following the training period, this position will spend a significant amount of time working independently but will also work as part of team to complete some tasks. Communication with other areas of the business are important including coordinating with the farm side, distribution manager and the retail shop at our original location. Attention to detail is very important in all areas of the position to ensure the safe production of cheese, adherence to recipes, noticing and responding to seasonal changes in milk, aging environment variations, and the safe and effective operation of equipment. As this is a new position in an evolving company, flexibility and willingness to jump in and adapt when things change is important as the organization grows and the process and procedures evolve.
Compensation, Benefits & Details:
- Two Weeks paid vacation
- Year round, full-time position
- Working Tuesday thru Saturday, typically 9am to 5pm
- Salary: 26k+ annually DOE
- Cheesemaking experience a plus but not required if you come from a restaurant background or have other fermentation or food production experience
- Starting in April 2018
To Apply: Let us know why this sounds like the job for you. Please send a letter of interest and resume with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Location: Columbus, NC 28722